1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
281 Posts
What I would like to see are condo boards installing these for owners of EV vehicles. At least that way we will have a fool proof method of charging but when that happens wireless charging will be widespread as much as its becoming for smartphones now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still think the traditional methods of charging are better because there's no loss of charge in the transfer. It would be nice if BMW concentrated on faster plugged charging and spread the technology to its other brands like MINI.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I mean if other concepts such as the Porsche Mission E claim to get a full charge in 15 minutes, with an estimated range of 500km, there is no doubt that the technology is there. I realize that's a super high end vehicle however, so it may be some time before that technology is available at a price point that would fit with the Mini EV.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The concepts may have amazing range and charge time, but that doesn't always apply to the production model because those batteries could cost more than average to produce and that just wouldn't do for a brand like MINI.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well I think its a safe bet to assume that the Mini EV will cost considerably more than its entry level ICE models. It makes sense as you're paying for brand new technology, but its hard to justify a higher entry price on a platform that has yet to be proven. Are batteries generally the largest influencers in the cost of manufacturing a EV?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not quite sure since there's just so many new components in an electric can compared to an ICE vehicle. Could be a new denser battery pack, motors, charging system, regenerative braking, etc. All this adds up, though I assume a lot of the costs can be spread between both BMW and MINI. Don't recall, but there's one BMW hybrid model that costs the the similar if not the same as the ICE version, so they've come a long way in reducing costs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well I think its a safe bet to assume that the Mini EV will cost considerably more than its entry level ICE models. It makes sense as you're paying for brand new technology, but its hard to justify a higher entry price on a platform that has yet to be proven. Are batteries generally the largest influencers in the cost of manufacturing a EV?
On average it has been about a 25% increase in price over the ICE trim or model right below it which with incentives can be brought down to 20%, which for the EV car demographic is attainable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think BMW is trying to drive down the prices of their electric and hybrid models to get it closer to what you'd pay for an ICE vehicle. So hopefully they can bring it down to 20% before incentives and the efforts can be felt across all their brands including Mini. That would bring it into an even more attainable range because not everyone is granted the full amount.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think most consumers are aware they are going to have to pay more for an EV variant, and I think 15-20% is a reasonable ask. This is assuming that the first generation models aren't riddled with issues. I think traditionally Mini's have always been too expensive for what they are, both in initial price and maintenance costs. Lets hope those are issues of the past.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think most consumers are aware they are going to have to pay more for an EV variant, and I think 15-20% is a reasonable ask. This is assuming that the first generation models aren't riddled with issues. I think traditionally Mini's have always been too expensive for what they are, both in initial price and maintenance costs. Lets hope those are issues of the past.
There still is a good business model out there for small city cars like the Smart Car, even Lexus wants to get into that space. So in the future I can see those being the truly affordable EV most anyone can afford. They will hit that sweet spot of the low $20k price range.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mini has been expensive but people still buy their cars and that's because what the company has to offer is unique in this over saturated market. Something that stands out and more so if they release an all electric offering like the Mini EV. It'll be the perfect package of design and green driving. Mid $20k would be nice after incentives though I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hopefully its higher entry price will be justified by its lower running costs. We know that investment into an EV results in long term pay offs and I think most buyers are aware of that. Who knows what kind of incentives will still exist by 2020.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A company called Qualcomm is working on a wireless charging system that can charge your car at up to 22kW, which is similar to the plug in rapid chargers. They say "its Halo system transfers electricity from the pad to the car with 90% efficiency, meaning just 10% is lost while being zapped across the air gap." That's still a loss to me and not something I'd want to pay for, but I can see the appeal for emergency vehicles.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Them being actively involved in racing means a lot to my confidence in the products they will offer. Track proven tech always turns out well for street application:

·
Registered
192 Posts
It would be great if this sort of technology could be built into roads or parking spaces. Not sure how much more convenient it is to wirelessly charge at home, and I have a feeling that the efficiency loss of this system would be much greater in the winter. And am I the only one who's concerned about what happens when it rains aha?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts