2020+ MINI Cooper SE Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
New to this forum, so bear with me if this topic has been broached already.
I have heard that one can purchase an adaptor to charge their Mini at Tesla chargers. I have also heard that the adaptors only work at Tesla Destination chargers, not at Superchargers.

1. Is this the case?

2. If so, are there enough Destination chargers accessible to the public to make purchasing an adaptor worth it?

3. And, do any of you have recommendations for adaptors?

Thanks for your insights!
-M

· Super Moderator
67 Posts
1. Yes, that is correct.

2. That depends on where you drive to/need to charge. I recommend using a resource like https://www.plugshare.com/ to look for Tesla Destination chargers along your anticipated routes and/or places you may expect to stay.

3. I have heard very good things about Lectron adapters (SAE J1772 Electric Vehicle Adapters - Lectron). I bought the compact 48A model to keep in my SE's boot "just in case", but haven't had the opportunity yet to use it. My understanding is that you should plug the adapter into the Tesla charger first, wait 30 seconds for the charger to "give up" on talking Tesla protocol and fail over to J1772, and then plug the adapter in to your SE.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Yes, that is correct.

2. That depends on where you drive to/need to charge. I recommend using a resource like https://www.plugshare.com/ to look for Tesla Destination chargers along your anticipated routes and/or places you may expect to stay.

3. I have heard very good things about Lectron adapters (SAE J1772 Electric Vehicle Adapters - Lectron). I bought the compact 48A model to keep in my SE's boot "just in case", but haven't had the opportunity yet to use it. My understanding is that you should plug the adapter into the Tesla charger first, wait 30 seconds for the charger to "give up" on talking Tesla protocol and fail over to J1772, and then plug the adapter in to your SE.

· Registered
1 Posts
We own a Tesla and a Mini Cooper SE. We have a wall mounted Tesla Charger at home and use the J-1772 adaptor every time we charge the Mini. We got an adaptor from Amazon for a great price and it works well. It lists for $139 but there is a $35 coupon right on the product page you can use to get the price down to $104. Link is here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts