2020+ MINI Cooper SE Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although nothing has been confirmed by BMW, there are some reports that new Mini EV, will be using the same electrical system as the BMW i3S. This would mean a power output of around 184hp, that would allow a 0-60 sprint of 6.9 seconds and a total range of around 280km. Even this model of the i3 is available with an optional range extender that brings that figure out to 330km. What are we thinking is realistic for Mini?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The quicker BMW gets the Mini EV to market the better. That range is already lacking a bit behind current rivals, and in another year, the gap could grow even larger. I think we'll be seeing the new standard range being set at around 200miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It can have slightly less range if it has quicker charge times. I doubt that we'll see it offered with a range extender, as I feel like that was just an early solution to a problem that's already been addressed with new technology.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think once BMW is able to place larger battery in the i3, that we'll see the rex option removed. Question is whether or not they can price the vehicle affordably with a bigger pack. Also curious what Chevy plans on doing with the Volt in the coming years.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It will also have to be a number of things, one being more efficient use of power. A power managment system that lets us see all those vitals would help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Its uniqueness that will help to distinguish the Mini from other EV's. While the new Leaf is a big step forward in terms of design, I still don't think its appealing to everyone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
At least we're seeing more conventional designs with new EV's and hybrids. Even the new Clarity is a huge improvement over previous generations. As electrics are no longer niche, they don't need to be so radically different looking.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think similar to the Niro EV, we'll just see minor tweaks to electric variants. As they become more commonplace on the road, it wont be as necessary to 'advertise' that you're driving an electric.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree. I think aside from maybe some small tweaks to lighting and grille inserts, that newer electrics will look pretty much identical to their ICE counterparts. Not a lot of sense in changing a design that's been working for you, and trying to keep production costs down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think this is how BMW hopes to undercut rivals with their modular design approach. If they can easily adapt their electric systems across their stable, then they should be able to expand their lineup with little to no added cost.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree. I think aside from maybe some small tweaks to lighting and grille inserts, that newer electrics will look pretty much identical to their ICE counterparts. Not a lot of sense in changing a design that's been working for you, and trying to keep production costs down.
They can get away with it for some extent but eventually catching up to the rest of the industry that will offer somewhat futuristic styling becomes the way forward.

We don't have to look far either, the new Honda Clarity EV sticks out like sore thumb.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While the Clarity is easily recognized as an electric, the new Insight isn't so easily distinguished. For the first time EV buyers can actually get into a green car that isn't traditionally styled as one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
While the Clarity is easily recognized as an electric, the new Insight isn't so easily distinguished. For the first time EV buyers can actually get into a green car that isn't traditionally styled as one.
That will change, it was true buyers wanted that but as it becomes popular and viewed highly to make greener choices, so will a lifestyle based around it. You can bet that products that stand out from "dirty" cars will excel. BMW's i vehicle program is the perfect example.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts