2020+ MINI Cooper SE Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just came across an awesome video of a personal project that someone has done. They took a 66 Mini pickup and fully converted it into an electric model. Fairly similar to what Mini recently did with the classic Cooper. The owner managed to get a pretty impressive range of 110km. Love that he runs everything though a Samsung Galaxy aha. As a fully licensed EV in Norway he's almost permitted to use bus and taxi lanes, free passage of all toll stations and free parking at all paid facilities.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Didn't think anyone would be given the chance to test drive something like that with how rare these converted vehicles are. Just can't get over how tiny the thing is when he's standing beside it with his dog. Looks like the beg is just the perfect size for his companion on their jaunts to the park. :D
He's pretty handy to manage all the electricals with how complicated they are.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's his personal vehicle, and he did the entire conversion himself. Love that he also modified the steering wheel to be more adjustable, because you need to do everything you can to maximize that cabin space. I could see a little electric pickup like this selling very well over in Europe.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sadly this might be one of the main ways that classic car owners can hold onto their cars all without any restrictions, taxes and so on. Odds are as EV's take over, owners of older cars that produce emissions beyond whats allowed will be paying in some way. Unless i'm wrong, hopefully.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're definitely seeing the conversion of classic models to EV's becoming a trend. And that's a smart way to increase their lifetime and practicality. Although you have to have some pretty serious knowledge of electronics to attempt one of these yourself. Anyone know of any companies offering a service like this?

·
Registered
281 Posts
We're definitely seeing the conversion of classic models to EV's becoming a trend. And that's a smart way to increase their lifetime and practicality. Although you have to have some pretty serious knowledge of electronics to attempt one of these yourself. Anyone know of any companies offering a service like this?
EcoTuned is one small company that has been getting into this space but more for utility than for cars people get for pure enjoyment. EcoTuned's main focus is centered around the F-150.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There's also a company called EV West that specializes in selling EV conversion kits for a variety of different models. Most of them seem to start around $7k, and I'm assuming they come with a detailed guide.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There's also a company called EV West that specializes in selling EV conversion kits for a variety of different models. Most of them seem to start around $7k, and I'm assuming they come with a detailed guide.
Too bad these days that someone who only cares about short term savings and not waiting years down the road to finally see a return, just won't see the value of doing these conversions. If done for fleet then it can start paying for itself much sooner. Thinning out that $7k into short-term ownership of a fuel efficient gasoline car goes a long way and hold its value well enough

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure companies offering EV kits are well aware that their audience is pretty niche at the moment, and that's probably why they can charge so much. There are plenty of owners of classic cars who would love to see them revamped with modern technology. Aside from a full blown restoration, this is the next best thing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm sure companies offering EV kits are well aware that their audience is pretty niche at the moment, and that's probably why they can charge so much. There are plenty of owners of classic cars who would love to see them revamped with modern technology. Aside from a full blown restoration, this is the next best thing.
Fortunately down the road I think it'll become a trend. Hard to turn down the performance that electric powertrains can deliver and all at a smooth consistent pace. This 2000 GT was a great example:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its not just the performance boost that comes with electrification, but its also practicality and better reliability. Classic cars can be crazy expensive to keep running, and sourcing parts can be a huge hassle. With a new electric powertrain, it should be much easier to maintain and repair. And that is one sweet looking concept.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts