2020+ MINI Cooper SE Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So while we're waiting on news around the Mini EV, I wanted to share some information that's come out regarding the latest Mini hybrid. It looks like early reviews of the 2018 hybrid Countryman are less than stellar and for a couple of noted reasons. The test models price of $40K is approximately $3,600 more than the Volt and $9,700 more that the Prius Prime. It delivers a measly 12 miles of all electric range, and requires a 2-3 hours of charge time. Lastly its combined fuel economy is only 27 MPG, which is pretty low in comparison to other PHEVs on the market already. Hopefully we see vast improvements in the fully electrified version, both in price and performance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mini has a long way to go with performance, if that's where their current PHEVS sit. I don't know anyone who would spend that kind of money on a plug in when there are so many cheaper and better options out there. Luckily the 3 series hybrid seems to be delivering much better results.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's way below what the current hybrid and all electric standard are these days. No wonder Mini isn't doing so well if that's all they had to offer an ever changing market. Luckily the brand can take some of that EV tech from BMW so we should see some stark improvements in their new hybrid if Mini does come out with one. Maybe similar to the 330e iPerformance sedan since that's the cheapest hybrid from BMW I could find.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be fine if those performance figures came in a much cheaper price bracket, but for $40k you could get something much more capable. Ideally Mini should be the cheaper option for an electric from BMW, so they've got to get those prices down.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ideally around $30 would be the best since hybrids still get some incentives as an electric vehicle and that would bring it down even more to an approachable number.

·
Registered
281 Posts
They better watch out for Korean car makers because Hyundai is slowly catching up, already the Ioniq is proving to be a great product and its only a matter of time till Genesis does something with it, unless we see luxury features in the Ioniq that can appeal to Mini's customer base.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mini will have to make changes to their pricing structure once they have a realistic production date in mind. There are already full electric models that are cheaper than the Countryman PHEV, and that doesn't bode well for the entry price point of the new Mini EV.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I guess on the flip side they can consider coming out with a small entry level EV that can rival just about anything out there because these days people have less of a need for interior space, and more for just seating themselves and maybe someone else. On top of that when you factor in cash back incentives, it becomes even more affordable.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know how much smaller a Mini could possibly get aha. We're just going to have to bank on the fact that their shared platform with BMW will bring their cost point down. The only way the Mini EV is going to sell is if its cheaper than the already established brands.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mini models were never that cheap and they sold fine for a while, so the same could be said about the electric variants. They have more to offer than just small size with how unique the interior and exterior is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't know how much smaller a Mini could possibly get aha. We're just going to have to bank on the fact that their shared platform with BMW will bring their cost point down. The only way the Mini EV is going to sell is if its cheaper than the already established brands.
Small to the extent of a city car, think Smart Car. Already the early Mini Coopers were small enough and these days there's a growing need for vehicles that can just seat up to 2 individuals at a time with little to no cargo. In addition to a product at a cheaper price point.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A smart car doesn't have any storage though, or capacity for additional passengers. We've seen the market shifting towards utility based vehicles and that's why so many new electrics coming to market are 4 door. I really don't think that the Smart Car fulfills the needs of the average driver.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mean if Mini wants to produce a smaller and cheaper variant I'm all for it, but I don't know if it'll appeal to the masses. The smart car sits in a pretty niche market, and it looks like most electrics are getting bigger not smaller.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Its also important to remember that the Smart Car is only capable of 68 miles on a charge. With the average range increasing beyond 200 miles, I really don't know if there will be much interest in a similar Mini variant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts