2020+ MINI Cooper SE Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

At the New York Auto show Mini showcased a classic Mini electric based upon a late model of the original Cooper. They didn't share any details about its electric powertrain, so we don't know how much power it has or what kind of battery it uses. I have to say that even though they only made this model to raise awareness of the Mini EV, part of me wishes they would at least consider a production model.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love the idea for a retro electric, although I feel like this could be expensive to do on scale. I wish more automakers would consider reviving old models and equipping them with the newest technologies. So far it looks like only Volkswagen is interested in a retro production model, with the new Bus.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the biggest issue with a retro model like this, is ensuring that it complies with new safety standards. I saw a lot of interest in this concept as a production model online, and perhaps Mini will consider it if their first EV see's successful numbers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Even without an electric powertrain, something with that classic look would sell very well these days with people looking for designs that stand out. Can't imagine what its range is like with the battery technology back then and how small the car itself is.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely think Mini could re-launch this as a petrol or hybrid and still see successful sales from it. They would have to make it a 4 seater, but I think consumers would love a retro styled vehicle updated with current age tech.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Think this one is equipped with Mini's new electric powertrain similar to what we may find in the Mini EV? The 1998 Mini has only been recently modified so it could feature the new electric car tech we keep hearing about; long range, faster recharge, etc.

·
Registered
116 Posts
This model probably features a pretty basic electric powertrain as its only being used at shows, and wont receive any testing. I don't think its smaller size would accommodate the new Mini EV's electric platform.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's been a pretty big online response to this model and a lot of people seem to have interest in the classic look. I think Mini should at least consider a limited production run, just to gauge consumer interest in the design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts