2020+ MINI Cooper SE Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many may not remember the quirky, tiny BMW Isetta that was discontinued 56 years ago. However it looks like two Swiss brothers have plans to reintroduce it to market as an EV. They currently have more than 7,200 orders for this modern version of the Isetta, which has replaced the old single cylinder petrol engine for a 20hp electric motor. The car is expected to retail for 12,000 euro's and will have an electric range of 74 miles. It's less than 8ft long and still retains the infamous front opening door.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Couldn't be a better time for these to come back. Of course, Smart proved there's demand and its only growing. Even Lexus tested the idea with a concept within recent years.

Do you think BMW will acquire them eventually?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm a little surprised that BMW is actually allowing them to release this, especially with how much interest they've gotten already. I think a model like this would do fantastic in a car sharing service in metropolitan areas.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm a little surprised that BMW is actually allowing them to release this, especially with how much interest they've gotten already. I think a model like this would do fantastic in a car sharing service in metropolitan areas.
It works to BMW's favor. Micro-niche products are always better done on a smaller scale. BMW group can crush its success if momentum picks up and if it proves to fit the current needs of buyers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think this model will ever sell in the volume that would require BMW stepping in. If they consider expanding availability outside of Europe however that could be a different story. Shows just how far EV tech has come considering this thing is getting almost the same range as the first gen i3.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We could also see BMW step in if the Microlino has issues in fulfilling orders. Not sure how involved the production process is, but that's already a lot of models to be made. Not sure what battery this EV is using, but sourcing it could become an issue once production begins.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It might work as part of some retro line similar to the Fiat 500 but at some point they'll have to get serious and sell a product like the Smart Car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is nothing wrong with offering a small scale niche vehicle and I think the Microlino will be very successful at that. It's going to require a huge amount of capital if they try to get into anything large scale.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Tough to say how much of a success it will be and how it will be defined as a success.
My general rule of thumb when buying an a-to-b car is; high volume = lots of parts for cheap + easy availability, Microline doesn't have it nearly as much as established brands.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Availability of parts isn't really going to be an issue for an EV. They are far less prone to breakdowns, and most issues are usually addressed with software. High demand but low availability has been working great for Tesla lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts