2020+ MINI Cooper SE Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quickly and silly question .
what is the lowest amount of amps the Mini Cooper se need to pull to charger.
reason : i am trying to calculate the battery station size max watt output it will need.

example: if I use jackery or ecoflow batteries of 1000watts. Would that work as emergency power for the car, or it will try to pull more than 1000w and pop the breaker, so I would need a 1500w battery.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
50 Posts
That depends on:
1. The maximum current your Level 1 charging cable can provide, and
2. The Charge Current Setting you select in the SE's menu.
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

If your charging cable provides a maximum of 10A, you should set the Charge Current Setting to "Reduced" if you want to use a 1kW battery--or step up to a 1.2kW (or larger battery) if you want to keep the setting at "Max".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That depends on:
1. The maximum current your Level 1 charging cable can provide, and
2. The Charge Current Setting you select in the SE's menu.
View attachment 275

If your charging cable provides a maximum of 10A, you should set the Charge Current Setting to "Reduced" if you want to use a 1kW battery--or step up to a 1.2kW (or larger battery) if you want to keep the setting at "Max".
Thanks for the information. I was hoping to get away with a smaller battery.

·
Super Moderator
50 Posts
Keep in mind, you'll want a battery with a large enough capacity to make waiting a really long time with a slow charge rate to be worth it.

I don't know what your use-case is, but keep in mind that that useable capacity of the SE's battery is 28.9kWh, so it will take 289Wh for each 1% you want to recharge (actually more than that, due to charging losses).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes thank you.
The idea is like having an emergency gas tank in the trunk. In case I need 10miles.
So if 29kwh = 100 miles then 10 miles is 2900w
In my case if I get a smaller 1500w battery , it will give me 5 miles, same time the solar power charger would be charging on solar.
Sound stupid but thinking emergency

Keep in mind, you'll want a battery with a large enough capacity to make waiting a really long time with a slow charge rate to be worth it.

I don't know what your use-case is, but keep in mind that that useable capacity of the SE's battery is 28.9kWh, so it will take 289Wh for each 1% you want to recharge (actually more than that, due to charging losses).

·
Registered
11 Posts
yes thank you.
The idea is like having an emergency gas tank in the trunk. In case I need 10miles.
So if 29kwh = 100 miles then 10 miles is 2900w
In my case if I get a smaller 1500w battery , it will give me 5 miles, same time the solar power charger would be charging on solar.
Sound stupid but thinking emergency
it's not 2900w, it is 2900wh.
how do you plan to use the backup battery? if you want to charge your Mini, the backup battery needs to have at least 360VDC.
a 360VDC battery could be very expensive😀

Regards,

·
Registered
24 Posts
The minimum output you can use is 100V, 6A. You'd need your EVSE set at 6A.
It seems that during charging, there is about 250W parasitic load. The charger is also not 100% efficient, more like 90%
Charging at 6A 100V would be a little over 50% efficient. You might want to consider using higher power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts