2020+ MINI Cooper SE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas prices on the rise, I assume people will look towards electric cars and hybrids more than ever. Now's a good time for BMW to start pushing out their electric models including ones under their Mini sub-brand. Jalopnik found that "in the last week alone, nationwide prices have risen an average of five cents, which makes it a 20-cent increase in the last month." This trend is probably going to continue and it's worse for places like Hawaii and California where the price for regular is nearing $3.70 a gallon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well that's going to hurt current Mini sales as well, because they haven't been found to be the most efficient cars. And the all electric range that's currently being offered on the Countryman hybrid is pretty dismal. Higher gas prices will definitely cause an influx of EV sales though, so hopefully Mini is poised to get their EV to market in the next year.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd rather BMW didn't rush the Mini EV to market, just to get it out there while demand is high. That will only end up with an unfinished product, and unsatisfied customers. We have any idea's as to why gas is skyrocketing again? Oil companies trying to get their hands in pockets one last time before electrification kicks off?

·
Registered
192 Posts
To be honest I think gas prices have gone up because the big companies have found that people are still willing to pay for it, even at ridiculous costs. Unless there is a proper strike/boycott then there's a good chance that the price will continue to climb.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You also have to factor in taxes and fees added on before you get access to it. I wouldn't worry so much about it now as there still billions of barrels of oil still to be drilled. Companies like Exxcon are always making discoveries or have places they haven't drilled yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Increasing fuel costs isn't due to a lack of availability, its just price gauging for increased profits. The big companies know that their time is limited with ICE's, as there are already some very affordable EV's soon joining the market.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's still a lot of uses for oil, just automotive consumption of it is slowly going down. Makes sense that they'll try to make as much as they can before a larger portion of the world goes electric, but it's going to be a painful process for those who can't make the transition soon or aren't able to.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You'd have to be pretty naïve to think that these gas companies aren't making significant investments into electric infrastructures as well. I just saw last week that BP has invested $20 million into new lithium battery technology, and they currently already manage more than 70 charging stations.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You'd have to be pretty naïve to think that these gas companies aren't making significant investments into electric infrastructures as well. I just saw last week that BP has invested $20 million into new lithium battery technology, and they currently already manage more than 70 charging stations.
ExxonMobil is another one that started ExxonMobil Chemical to venture into the electric vehicle market. At the end of the days these are energy companies, odds are they had budgets allocated for this stuff well before car makers even came out with EV's.

Being at the front of the pack gives you that advantage, the market bows to them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how charging rates change as more and more EV's begin to hit the road. Because remember they were all free when they were first implemented. As demand grows, so will costs of ownership.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Part of it will also have to be infrastructure because if we have more options for charging it takes away the need to stay stationary and be inconvenienced.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am confident that over the next couple of years as more EV's hit the road and technology continues to improve, that we will see a drastic reduction in the average charge time of batteries. I personally don't see the need for wireless charging, and I don't like the idea of even more EMF radiation in the air.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ExxonMobil is another one that started ExxonMobil Chemical to venture into the electric vehicle market. At the end of the days these are energy companies, odds are they had budgets allocated for this stuff well before car makers even came out with EV's.

Being at the front of the pack gives you that advantage, the market bows to them.
They are in for the profit and whatever business that brings it is cool... I am looking up on how to partner with Ionity to have a fast charge station.... Anyb idea on what it takes?

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you want fast implementation then it would be ideal if all charge suppliers can come to an agreement. Already Tesla is a good company to partner with seeing how they already have infrastructure.

It comes down to infrastructure and availability.

·
Registered
192 Posts
They are in for the profit and whatever business that brings it is cool... I am looking up on how to partner with Ionity to have a fast charge station.... Anyb idea on what it takes?
By partner do you mean trying to get an Ionity station placed near you? I would expect in the next 2-3 years for availability to increase substantially. They have recently partnered with Shell and are in talks to support Tesla as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That should be how the business model works, in fact we should see charging stations pop up where other businesses operate. Its an incentive for them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Shell has actually begun rolling out their own branded chargers are various gas stations in the UK. And I believe right now they are offering to pay for 50% of the cost in an attempt to build up a consumer base.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I love the features of their system and once more rival companies also come to market with their own chargers, whoever rises to the top will be those that provide the best overall service.

• Charge posts that are adaptable to your requirements*
  • A bespoke APP allowing drivers to initiate and manage their charging sessions
  • A system dashboard so you can monitor and control activity at your finger tips
  • 24 hour customer service and support

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think the strongest selling point for their system will be availability if they plan on offering these chargers at every one of their locations. Though it doesn't look like they have any sort of canopy, and rain and electricity aren't exactly a good match.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think the strongest selling point for their system will be availability if they plan on offering these chargers at every one of their locations. Though it doesn't look like they have any sort of canopy, and rain and electricity aren't exactly a good match.
When it comes to wireless charging, exposure to the elements shouldn't be an issue. If phone makers can make phones waterproof and hold up to extreme heat and extreme cold then in think in much more expensive systems it won't be an issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts