2020+ MINI Cooper SE Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's a tall order considering how little options they have on their lineup, both hybrid and full electric. But Fortune says that's their goal, and I don't think it'll include whatever Mini sells.
In light of this, I think we can expect to see a large push for new electric models from BMW and maybe the MINI branch.

BMW Wants to Sell Half a Million Electric Cars by 2019 | Fortune

·
Registered
281 Posts
They already have plans to make most models into EV's which all starts at the platforms they are creating to support this move. In 2018 they will be launching more products in the $35-50k range.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their goals depends on so many factors include their new battery factory, local incentives, price of electricity, the car itself, etc. I think the main thing holding them back will be the large amount of affordable options that will soon be in the market. BMW will need to come out with more affordable products for large scale sales and more luxurious ones for higher profit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Their goals depends on so many factors include their new battery factory, local incentives, price of electricity, the car itself, etc. I think the main thing holding them back will be the large amount of affordable options that will soon be in the market. BMW will need to come out with more affordable products for large scale sales and more luxurious ones for higher profit.
It all boils down to offering different trim levels much like what we seen Tesla do. BMW is a brand that tries to reach to anyone and that involves targeting key price points. Aside from that they will be putting potential owners in a tough spot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll remain skeptical, though their EV sales is on the rise I can't imagine them hitting half a million in two more years. They may have hit their 100,000 electric vehicle sales target for 2017, but that's not enough. Hopefully their goal will drive innovation and provide us with more options.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I guess we just have to see what numbers they produce once these hit the market becuase that what really this depends on.They only know so much before a product hits the marekt

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's going to largely depend on incentives for a while and those living in California may be getting a break for the current i3. Just something to drive until the Mini EV comes out, whenever that may be. From now until April 30, those who are with Southern California Edison electric and its employees can get $10,000 off any trim of the i3. This only works if you're purchasing and not leasing. Tack on the federal income-tax credit, California purchase rebate and a clean fuel reward from the utility company and the i3 suddenly becomes that much more affordable.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1115302_another-utility-gives-10k-off-bmw-i3-electric-car-sales-backed-by-socal-edison

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not bad at all coming from a company but its too bad that its going ob e rare to see companies doing this at scale. the only exception will be if they get tax credits but at the rate things are going in north america and the overall corporate culture, it will be limited to just the very big companies.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Its pretty crazy that even automakers such as BMW have to offer such steep incentives to attract EV buyers. The cost of acquisition must be huge if they are willing to offer $10k off the price. The incentive programs out there really seem to vary from region to region, as obviously some countries/states have seen a greater adoption rate of electrics.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Its pretty crazy that even automakers such as BMW have to offer such steep incentives to attract EV buyers. The cost of acquisition must be huge if they are willing to offer $10k off the price. The incentive programs out there really seem to vary from region to region, as obviously some countries/states have seen a greater adoption rate of electrics.
It helps that they are such a large brand and have been for many years which results in a lot of money to risk compared to other brands. Toyota is an other example of a brand that has a lot of money to go around. Just look at how much time and money they spent bringing the LFA to market.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It looks as though BMW PHEV sales went up by 31% last year. On average, 6.0% of total sales were all-electric or plug-in hybrids, which is up from 4.4% from the previous year. With their proposed expansion to their EV lineup, electrics should be able to hit 10% of their total sales. Here's a breakdown of the most popular models.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That Mini wedge is very small at just 2%, though I'd assume it'll increase with more options and full electric models as well. Not sure if it'll be on par with the BMW i3 when it comes to sales, but we'll see.
Adding up those numbers, that's still a far cry from half a million electric vehicles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well the newest Countryman PHEV has just recently come to market, so its not surprising that sales are so low. It also seems that it doesn't quite match up to the performance offered by rivals and hopefully this is addressed prior to the release of their fully electrified versions. I think the BMW models will have to do a lot of the heavy lifting early on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm a little surprised to see the X5 xDrive40e make up such a large percentage of their sales, considering how poor the range is, and how long the charge times seem to be. Goes to show what a difference a nameplate can make.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts