2020+ MINI Cooper SE Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW of North America is recalling 47,806 vehicles in the U.S due a possible fire hazard. According to the automaker there is a water pump that could fail on certain vehicles, causing a circuit board to overheat. The affected MINI models include certain 2011-2012 Cooper S Convertible, John Cooper Works (JCW) Convertible, Cooper S Countryman, Cooper S Countryman ALL4, Cooper S, JCW Cooper S Clubman, JCW Clubman, Cooper S Roadster, JCW Roadster, Cooper S Coupe, and JCW Coupe. Really looking forward to these kinds of issues being a thing of the past.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Shouldn't be a concern with electric cars since the water pump is used to keep coolant moving through the engine block, hoses and radiator. These parts don't exist inside an electric vehicle and BMW's EV cooling system seems to be problem free so far.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I mean he did post it in off topic discussion. Not great to see Mini still suffering from mechanical issues, just one more reason for them to move to a new platform. As the Mini EV will likely be sharing similar components to other BMW electrics, I suppose that means that any recalls issued will affect both models. Luckily there is much less to worry about on an electric platform.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If the rate of recalls keep up especially with vehicles that will end up sharing parts with the Mini EV's we will have then it might mean I will sit out of the first model year!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's my main concern with the brand is that they have proven to be quite unreliable and that's going to hurt adoption rates for a brand new platform. I at least hope that BMW learned its lesson of pricing an electric too aggressively, which they did with the i3. And that's now seeing the worst depreciation I've ever seen for a newer car.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Fortunately this time around the same components will be used in a wider range of BMW and Mini products thus giving us better chances at solid product. It has almost always been that case with high volume production. Just look at the most successful BMW products.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well all of BMW's most successful electric products are hybrids, so we cant really say much about their fully electric platform. I do think that a lot of the issues they faced in the i3 will allow them to prevent similar mistakes with the Mini.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well all of BMW's most successful electric products are hybrids, so we cant really say much about their fully electric platform. I do think that a lot of the issues they faced in the i3 will allow them to prevent similar mistakes with the Mini.
The difference now is they're massively scaling it up to a level we have never seen before, a big difference compared to just having two EV's, one which was a failed GT car. Take the i3 a warm up, now BMW is really ready for scale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts