2020+ MINI Cooper SE Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While this couldn't be further away from an EV, I just had to share it with you guys. This guy was taken a classic Mini and turned it into a one of a kind racing machine. Its got a 1.6l 4 cylinder VTEC from an older Type R, equipped with a massive turbocharger. At 360hp this thing is putting out the same power that's seen in top tier hot hatches, but its just a fraction of the weight. Check out the video.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Pretty impressive that this build was done privately by the 22yr old owner. If/when he adapts it to an AWD system, this thing is going to be a monster. An electric model will probably still be faster off the line though lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
While the performance numbers are impressive, I'm not a huge fan of how the setup looks. I know there are obviously space constraints in the classic body shell, but such a large external turbocharger isn't ideal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty impressive that this build was done privately by the 22yr old owner. If/when he adapts it to an AWD system, this thing is going to be a monster. An electric model will probably still be faster off the line though lol.
Yeah an electric drivetrain lends itself a lot better to this chassis. You'd have to have a lot of electrical expertise to attempt something like that privately however. I'd like to see a head to head between this and the Classic Mini EV.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Other than the initial launch, I don't think that would be much of a race. I don't think there was ever a confirmation of the Classic Mini's electric powertrain, but I would imagine that it's restricted to city speeds. Its probably only got something like 30-40hp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Classic EV was incredibly impressive, especially since it only has a 10kWh battery pack. I'm pretty sure they said that it was capable of a top speed of 75 miles per hour, with 65 miles of range.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeah an electric drivetrain lends itself a lot better to this chassis. You'd have to have a lot of electrical expertise to attempt something like that privately however. I'd like to see a head to head between this and the Classic Mini EV.
Power distribution for me is a big one and electric powertrains with the right components like modules can help us get one of the best driving Mini's we ever had.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's a shame that the largest Mini trim is now the most popular, because a smaller variant would probably benefit more from the electrical powertrain. Mini has yet to confirm which exact models will be seeing electrification however.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts