Mini is to BMW what Smart is to Mercedes - 2020 Mini EV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Mini is to BMW what Smart is to Mercedes

You read that right, just about all Mini's of the future should be electric, at least according to information that popped up in my news feed.

Apparently "BMW Group have cancelled plans to offer internal-combustion engines in the next-generation Mini family," or in other words an EV-only future.

Read on:

Quote:
In addition to the Mini SE, which is based on the current Hardtop and goes on sale early next year, and the inevitable engineless Phantom, the BMW Groupís electric cars also include the all-new Mini being developed under the Project Grizzly banner in concert with Chinaís Great Wall Motors. Contrary to earlier reports, it appears that management has since black-flagged the internal-combustion versions in favor of an all-electric model range. Due in 2023, we expect a super-short-wheelbase MiniMini, a more compact and prettier replacement for the mainstay three-door version, and a Mini crossover. All three are said to be FWD, use a skateboard-style chassis, and offer a choice of 35- or 50-kWh battery packs.
Expect our choices of electrified Mini's to grow to include the 2/4 door hardtop, Countryman and Convertible (I know my S/O will love that last one)
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniFootPrint View Post
You read that right, just about all Mini's of the future should be electric, at least according to information that popped up in my news feed.

Apparently "BMW Group have cancelled plans to offer internal-combustion engines in the next-generation Mini family," or in other words an EV-only future.

Read on:

Expect our choices of electrified Mini's to grow to include the 2/4 door hardtop, Countryman and Convertible (I know my S/O will love that last one)
If they're going to do this I really hope they're able to increase the range so people don't stick to gas-powered Minis.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMW View Post
If they're going to do this I really hope they're able to increase the range so people don't stick to gas-powered Minis.
I won't mind more conservative range if it means not compromising on reliability.
It's what Mercedes is doing and Mini/BMW following that lead will be best for them and the industry.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniFootPrint View Post
I won't mind more conservative range if it means not compromising on reliability.
It's what Mercedes is doing and Mini/BMW following that lead will be best for them and the industry.
That's fair but I can see the range being an issue for a lot of people. They definitely shouldn't compromise on reliability, but they should try to boost the range, even if it's only a little bit.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:06 PM

Charging at home takes care of most range anxiety.
It's only when you drive more than the average person that extra planning has to be done.

Aside from that, Mini is well positioned to sell these at decent volumes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page