Some new details - 2020 Mini EV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Some new details

Mini has finally shared some new information regarding the Mini EV. They have confirmed that the electric model will be launched on their 60th anniversary. This will mean a next summer production, with customers taking delivery in early 2020. They have also said that there are currently no plans to offer it as a larger 5 door model and for now it will remain a three door hatch. https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mini/1...-60th-birthday
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 10:03 AM

Not sure if it was wise or not to restrict the Mini EV to only a 3 door. As the majority of their sales over the past few years have been with the larger Countryman, I think this is severely going to limit the number of interested buyers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:36 AM

I have a feeling this was done intentionally to maximize the efficiency of the platform. Once they are able to deliver a practical electric range, then they can consider moving up to larger and heavier models.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:24 PM

Research and demographic studies have shown that there's a growing amount of people traveling solo that also want style. Safe to say Mini has found their niche.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Technically the Mini Countryman is a subcompact crossover and I think going monospec is in an effort to reduce their risk with a new platform launch. Once they can establish consumer interest they can look to build upon trim levels and variants.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 05:49 PM

Unfortunately monospec might not be enough to keep them competitive. Buyers want options. The only other option Mini has is to offer packages/special versions.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:46 AM

Their special editions are far too expensive and I doubt we will see anything like a JCW version of the electric model. By keeping it a three door that suggests they are prioritizing efficiency over performance.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Their special editions are far too expensive and I doubt we will see anything like a JCW version of the electric model. By keeping it a three door that suggests they are prioritizing efficiency over performance.
Where BMW and Mini are at and will be in the future I see potential for that to happen. What helps too is the 2-Series and 1-Series have been well respected cars from dedicated BMW enthusiasts to well respected journalists. Mini should have no problem bringing that spirit back, it worked in the past.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page