Will Mini use new BMW battery platform? - 2020 Mini EV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Will Mini use new BMW battery platform?

Heard BMW is going to have multi-sized battery cells in the future. They'll be of different sizes, ranging between 60 kWh and 120 kWh, and of different shapes so you won't have weird electric coupes or sedans that sits too high. I'd assume with how flexible these things are, they could be used in the new Mini EV as well? But they won't be ready until 2021, so that may be too late for the first gen Mini EV.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:37 AM

Smart for them to adapt the batteries to the platform and not vice versa. It's a little surprising that they are already able to make changes to the design of the batteries, despite being relatively new to the technology. I would assume that a lot of what we'll be seeing in the Mini will be based upon what they learned with the i3.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

I'd like to see these batteries and see just how different they are to the usual battery cells we're used to seeing. I think the current ones in the i3 looks like this in rectangular format. Maybe even smaller shapes?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:31 AM

So this means that they will probably be putting shorter batteries in their cars and taller ones in their SUV's? Wonder if that will have any impact on their weight. That's a pretty monstrous battery pack considering the i3's limited range.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Think battery density is something BMW is working on because what they have right now looks pretty beefy for the limited range they provide. When it comes to shapes, shorter cells would work better for sedans and coupes while taller cells would work in SUVs without affecting cabin space.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:57 AM

As the technology improves, I'm sure we will see these packs become smaller in size. It's already a big benefit over traditional ICE's, as you no longer have that hump in the floor of the rear seats. I'm not sure how they would go about making them weigh less, but I know Samsung has been developing some new batteries for EV's.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

The only way I can think of is for them to make the batteries more compact while retaining the current amount of charge it can hold, making them more dense. But no idea what the science behind it will be. I do like the flat floor that electric come with and even better when the undercarriage is full sealed so the winter salt won't get to the important parts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
The only way I can think of is for them to make the batteries more compact while retaining the current amount of charge it can hold, making them more dense. But no idea what the science behind it will be. I do like the flat floor that electric come with and even better when the undercarriage is full sealed so the winter salt won't get to the important parts.
Now that the Mini SE is here, I'm happy to say its precisely what Mini has done.

Being part of BMW and benefiting from their development over the years should mean even more innovation to head our way.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page