Questions about the Headlights - Page 2 - 2020 Mini EV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:48 AM

Actually, from what I recall of the Bolt, it was designed to look like a normal car and not as off-putting as something like BMW's i3 or Leaf. That was their plan to draw in more buyers who weren't a fan of the EV aesthetics. Mini could go either way at this point because the test mule looks like a normal car from their lineup but their parent company has something as whacky as the i models.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
Actually, from what I recall of the Bolt, it was designed to look like a normal car and not as off-putting as something like BMW's i3 or Leaf. That was their plan to draw in more buyers who weren't a fan of the EV aesthetics. Mini could go either way at this point because the test mule looks like a normal car from their lineup but their parent company has something as whacky as the i models.
I noticed that especially with the new Volt. Previous generation Volt probably turned off a lot of people from what i'm guessing. Its a good approach to ease people into EV's without all the attention that could come with one. But the higher a car maker goes with EV segments the more crazy they get with designs as seen with BMW.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 12:19 PM

Recently saw a test mule for the new Porsche Mission E, and even the headlights on that model have changed from concept. It had the same sort of design as the Mini EV concept, but now it looks just like any other model. And I actually prefer the looks of the older Volt, I don't like the changes they made to the front fascia and tail lights in the new model.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

GM learned that in certain segments people want EV's that don't look like EV's and in other segments they want it to look like an EV. Basically anything in a high volume segment as an EV, is better off to not look like an EV. The Volt is a prime example of that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page