Production wheels? - 2020 Mini EV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Production wheels?

Recently released spy shots may be giving us a first glimpse of the production wheels on the Mini EV. These are actually fairly similar to the design which we first saw on early concepts, with their cross like design. Looks like its running a set of Dunlop Winter Sports 205 45 R17.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:37 AM

Those are pretty neat looking rims, especially for OEM, though I'm assuming for production there will be some sort of center cap. I wonder if there will be offering any additional options in the higher trim levels.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I was hoping that we'd see the accented lip from the concept model, but I suppose there's no reason to put anything fancy on a test mule. I wonder if this means that we're also going to see the same sort of headlamp units that we're placed in the concept. Those were a very neat way to distinguish this model from its ICE counterparts.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 AM

We're still pretty far off from production guise, so I expect that BMW will continue to make tweaks to this prototype. I do wonder if we'll have any control on the level of regen braking in the Mini or if it will be set at a predetermined intensity. I think control over any kind of functions like that should be provided on a "premium" EV.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

I'm sure that it'll be adjustable, as that's offered even on the cheaper Nissan Leaf. As the Mini is likely to be used for city driving, regenerative breaking will greatly increase its efficiency with all the stop and go traffic.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 01:06 PM

Well the Mini E had 100 miles of range and that was back in 2009, so this model should be more than capable as a proper long distance car. Considering the improvements that have been made to battery tech in that time, this model should easily be capable of double that range.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:55 PM

Basically we need to get used to seeing "aero" wheels and a prime example of that is the new Model 3. This will be the case for most EV's aside from higher end trims (like what Audi E-Tron test mules have)

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

I know those serve a purpose in reducing wind resistance and drag, but I'm not a huge fan of how they look. And I'm curious whether Tesla will offering the same wheels on the entry level model, because I doubt they're cheap.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I know those serve a purpose in reducing wind resistance and drag, but I'm not a huge fan of how they look. And I'm curious whether Tesla will offering the same wheels on the entry level model, because I doubt they're cheap.
Part of its design is based on the brands design language and its easy to see how that's the case here.
Even the Mini concept in the banner above has something similar going on with respect to what Mini design is known for.
I'm not concerned one bit!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 11:14 AM

I don't really know why we're comparing cars in such different price brackets in the first place. You cant currently get a model 3 for less than $60k, and the Mini is going to be slotted well underneath that. If Mini is going to look to other rim designs, they'll likely pull from the JCW Cooper.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page